The Way Back is Forward

Bubbles: 2 year old magic

A funny thing happened on the way back to myself. I had my picture taken. Naked. Lots of them. About 2000 of them, to be exactish. New beginnings were calling us back East. One of Duncan's best friends was getting married, and he really wanted Logan to attend. Being Logan's official feeders and butt wipers, we went along too. Add in stops for assorted family and friends, we would go from Pennsylvania all over both the city and state of New York and Connecticut.

Airplane snoozes and messy hair




First train ride, in NYC no less

 I met Connecticut artist Randy Lagana in another chapter of my time. Don't we all have so many lifetimes in a lifetime? I was working as a designer in the tile industry. Randy came in with his Lady Love Jen working on some home improvement stuff. Turns out he is an amazing artist in several arenas, two of which are photography and acrylic painting.

I asked Randy if he would be interested in doing a shoot with me as a model, as long as I got a set of the prints. He agreed. The morning of, I felt antsy. It increased a bit once in his presence. I just wanted to rip off the bandaid and get to the naked part. I am a nurse, will hang out on the occasional nude beach, not terribly shy. But it felt a little intimate undressing for one person. An artist with an eye for beauty. I was middle aged and had birthed 20 months ago. I was looking for me.

And he showed me. My dress came off in front of a canvas backdrop on his back deck. He put on some music, I began to move and flow, and he began to shoot. Props and ideas quickly changed and morphed, creativity happened. A few hours after we parted ways, he started texting me images of the morning's work. Within the first four or so images he sent was the one that mattered most to me. The “I can't believe that's me” photo. By showing me myself through his eyes, something shifted for me. I knew then that I was still a beautiful sexual being worthy of love, and that my value and desirability are in no way connected to anybody's want or opinion of me. Sounds logical, but it's a big one for those that don't know it yet. 

Not "the photo," but one that is nude without naked
 
I turn towards 2019 with an eye to curating more of my own happiness. A big piece of that is letting go of fear. I am missing out on enjoying myself, my son, for catastrophizing every moment. Adult residue of a childhood with an always partially to fully floored fight or flight response. Working on that. EMDR helps. I want a beautiful inside. A place I can (breathe...relax...be...)

I got a good look at myself last night. My anxiety robs me of enjoying myself and makes me unenjoyable to be around. Duncan treated the three of us to an outdoor Blues concert last night, Willie K and friends. Willie is a Hawaiian musical legend, and currently battling lung cancer that has metastasized to his bones. Ever try to keep a 2 year old in a seat? Can not be done without duct tape or a chloroform soaked rag. Duncan and I were in various stages of managing the Logan Issue – some him, some me, some us. Duncan has a follow-from-a-distance policy – with the confidence to know he can keep him safe, and I am ready to catch the boy as he climbs on the cement and metal rail structures or runs full tilt into the port a potty corner against the flow of exiting people. When I do grab Logan up, it causes him to go boneless and cry, me to get frustrated and then I have to hand the boy over to his dad... And round we go.

Never in the history of relaxing has anyone ever relaxed by being told to relax. But I need to. Being in shape doesn't mean much if you're a wreck on the inside. I have recently started taking a free gentle yoga class for cancer survivors on Saturday mornings. The first class I attended was 4 or so students. The Goddess of an instructor led us into our opening moments by having us check in with where we were and what we were thinking about. No problem! Then she added “do it without judgment.” The last instruction was slid in so casually, almost like an afterthought. It was as if I was alone on a walk, and suddenly looked up and realized there had been a friend walking with me all along. Something about this made me crumple. Like, take the outer workout shirt off and use it as a hanky level crumpling. Not subtle little eye dabs but full out honking nose blowing. I knew I had to keep attending. The love and support shared in this intimate and ever-shifting group is carried in my chest. Powerful things happen when women gather. Mothers and sisters, hold each other up.
When will he take his last nap with us?

I am in a very introspective place, this motherhood. The less tiny and helpless the boy becomes, the more I seem to be able to come back to me. He is fabulous and amazing, a joy, such a great kid to watch become. I've done something right. I love to watch his growing mind work, the new things I find. All of his annoying talking cars lined up on the little parking garage ramp. Watching him refill the toy bin after he dumps it. His equivalent to jumping in a New England leaf pile is my warm laundry. It's a race to fold and put away before he unfolds or jumps on it. And the way he jumps – ass first. At the floor. Shit's gonna get real when he loses the padding of diapers if that remains his technique. Words are delayed, but coming. And he understands everything he hears. He can pick the blue ball or green brush out of a line-up. His appetite to have books read to him is insatiable. He cares for his Bun-Bun (favorite stuffed toy) feeding him and brushing his teeth, making sure everybody hugs him. When I pick him up or come home I am met at the door with a happy barrage of “Mamma Mamma Mamma!!” as he tries to push through the many bags I am invariably carrying for a hug. Or he'll suddenly have an urgent need to zoom in from the other room and grab and SQUEEZE my leg really hard for two seconds with verbal squeeze noise sound effects and then go running back to his toys to play. Sudden onset short lived need to squeeze? From my kiddo it's great. I'll take two. (From a stranger? Probably weird.) It's like watching a little universe expand.


There have already been so many lasts. No more breastfeeding, my milk dried up just short of him being 10 months old. With the end of breastfeeding and bottles came less cuddle time. Logan loves hugs and kisses, but then he heeds the call of getting back to the serious business of play. The drool dial has been turned way down, only occasionally showing up as a trickle with molar activity. He used to drool so much as he crawled it looked like a giant snail was working its way through our house. He sleeps in a toddler bed, not a pack and play. The car seat is now front-facing. Clothing and shoes turn over at an astonishing rate. I feel like he's gotten bigger and weighs more with every morning's greeting. He was my twin when he was born, me with a Y chromosome. As baby-ness falls away to boyhood, he is looking more like his dad. 

 
Growing every time his eyes close

 So: back to the blues concert. Duncan took us because he wanted us to see a musical legend as a family. Willie K collapsed towards the end of an amazing rendition of Gold Dust Woman. I wondered if his heart had given out. A big man, it looked like his knees buckled and he did a sort of backbend. Even unconscious he would not let go of the guitar strapped around him. The singer that had been doing Stevie Nicks such justice was trying to right him by pulling up on his guitar, the only real option in the awkward position and situation. I told the nearest usher I was a nurse and asked if she could get me on stage. There was already a medic in the wings and an ambulance there in minutes. It was reported that he was dehydrated. Drink more water. And live the way you want, because this shit is short and the spark of life can leave you at any time. Better said: Life is a long road on a short journey – James Lendall Basford.

If Willie had left his body at the concert that night, he was doing it right. A grand exit, indeed. He invited all his friends, gave them the light to shine and share. An amazing talented collection of musicians. He played and sang the things he wanted to experience that night. Willie opened with a goosebump raising rendition of Lilac Wine, one I love in original, remixed, and covered versions all. He shared that was the first song his father taught him, and always having wanted to sing it performed it for us for the first time. Oh that falsetto. More goosebumps. Nothing like living every day like it's the last. Some advice I'm looking to follow more this 2019.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Labor, Delivery, and Time Warps

Roll With It Baby!